onemillioncan

Sunday, May 31, 2009

I am in AFRICA!!!

May 31, 2009 (Sunday)
Cherokee House, Addis Ababa

I have arrived! So, funny story (or GOD STORY) - after getting to Dulles airport in DC I was walking to my gate after getting something to eat and I hear someone say "Are you Sarah Herbert?" It was a girl named Rachel that I had been facebook messaging back and forth for a few weeks , who is also staying at Cherokee House with me. It turns out that she and Blair (another girl also staying at Cherokee House) were supposed to fly out 3 days earlier, but something had happened and they were stuck in D.C. and were supposed to fly out this coming Monday, but had come to the airport hoping to get on an earlier flight. And they got seats on the same flight that I was on! It truly was a "God thing" because I cannot imagine having to go through visa application, immigration, and customs all by myself. It was total craziness. The line for visas was insane and took like 2 hours to go through. Rachel described it best by saying we were like gumballs in a gumball machine, all trying to go through the same little opening (the doorway), though I don't think gumballs would have been as pushy as the people we were crammed up against. Everything went fine though and one of the Cherokee people, Brianna ( I think that's her name...I'll get back to you on that) was there to meet us (though she actually still wasn't expecting me until the next night... another way Rachel and Blair being on my flight was a God thing!!!).

The most exciting thing so far? Being hit on by a big, older, black man while in line for our visas. Apparently I have very nice left handed hand writing and a bunch of other things I couldn't understand, and he wanted the number of where I was going to be staying in Ethiopia. I'm telling you, 21 years in America and I can't get a man, but 1 hour in the Addis Ababa airport and I have one asking for my number. So everything is good and we're just settling in, taking showers and heading to bed. Right now, we're the only guests in the house, but 2 more are coming tomorrow morning and then I believe we are spending the day visiting places together.

2 comments:

Amy Mescher said...

Sarah! I was so confused that you texted me to say you were getting on the plane on Saturday and now I understand. Did you see the New Moon trailer yet?

Ellie said...

PRAISE THE LORD FOR HE IS SOOOOOO GOOD! HE HAS MADE IT VERY CLEAR THAT HE IS AT WORK AND HIS PLAN IS FOR YOU TO BE THERE FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS!!! BLESSINGS TO YOU MY SWEET SARAH AND KNOW THAT YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS AND MY HEART. I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO MEET MY SOLOMON NEXT!! WITH LOVE HUGS AND KISSES ALWAYS, IN HIS TIMING & CARE, AUNTIE EILEEN