onemillioncan

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Day 8: Crazy Transportation & Finding a Husband

June 8, 2009

Monday


“What I mean, brothers, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they had none; those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.”

1 Corinthians 7:29-31


Today was an experience. First off, I went to and from Kechene all by myself. Going there was…interesting. I walked to Tor Highluch and waited for a mini-bus. And waited. And waited. Finally a cab pulled up and I pushed my way on (which is what you have to do if you ever want to actually get onto a mini-bus during rush hour), just to find out it was going to Mexico and not Piazza. So I had to get back off. Then it happened again. Bus pulls up, I get on, and then have to get right back off again. Finally a guy took pity on me and pushed onto a bus to save me a seat. After I thanked him, the bus pulled away from Tor Highluch and I realized this bus wasn’t going to Piazza either. So I got off and walked back to the road I knew the Piazza buses traveled down and caught a mini-bus there. At Piazza I got on a bus to Kechene and waited for it to fill up, but as soon as it pulled out, the bus died. So I had to get out and find another bus to Kechene. Finally I got to Kechene two and a half hours later. It was a trip -literally! I almost came to tears but kept it in.


The second experience of the day was at Kechene and a man in a suit came out of the office, so I went over to him and introduced myself. His name was Jacob and he is an Ethiopian pastor. He was very talkative and like the fist thing he asked me was

“Are you Christian?”

“Yes”

“Are you Catholic?”

“No.”

“Are you Protestant?”

“Yes.”


This made him very happy and even more talkative. He then asked me,

“Are you married?”

“No.”

“Why not?” (said as an accusation)

“I’m 21 and still in University.”

“But you want to get married?”

“Well yes, someday.”

“Well Ok, I’ll pray for you then that you find a husband.”


And then he actually stopped and prayed for me out loud that I would find a husband. I was laughing so hard, especially because my quiet time this morning was on 1 Corinthians 7 and marrying instead of burning.


3 comments:

Enjoying Life Together said...

Sarah, thank you for these daily glimpes into your life right now. I, for one, appreciate you taking the time to do this. And thanks for the laugh today! :)

CHRISTY said...

Okay, I have seen those mini-buses in action and I, therefore, am very impressed! I would not have been able to hold back the tears. Keep it up kiddo, what remarkable experiences you're having!

Emerly Sue said...

It is better to marry than to burn. (;